Relations between Yemen and Austria:
The first Yemeni-Austrian contact dates back to the 18th century when Austrian orientalist Sigfried Lagner visited Yemen for the purpose of collecting Yemeni manuscripts. The establishment of diplomatic relations dates back to 1975 when the two countries commenced diplomatic relations at the level of non-resident ambassadors.
In 1990, the Yemen Embassy opened its consulate in Vienna and since then it has been strengthening the partnership to develop bilateral relations and cooperation in the fields of trade, tourism and medicine. For instance, OMV, the Austrian oil company (the third largest oil company in Europe), invested in an oil exploration in Hadramout and has been exporting oil from various sectors. In addition, Yemen imports medical and food goods from Austria including medical teams to provide free medical services to Yemeni patients were commenced.
The most important achievements of the bilateral relations between the two countries since 2001 can be summarized as follows:
- A cooperation agreement was signed between the General Hospital in Sana’a and the Pouliten Hospital in Austria to train and rehabilitate a number of doctors.
- Austria has provided $ 480,000 to Yemen’s health sector as part of the efforts to strengthen health management in Yemen was supervised by WHO.
- Some local Austrian NGOs and international companies provided medical aid to Yemen.
- Austrian government provided medical aid to those affected by floods in Aden.
- Ten scholarships were awarded for postgraduate studies in different medical fields for Yemeni students who graduated from Austria.
- In 2001 a draft memorandum of understanding was conceptualized between the Federation of Yemeni Chambers of Commerce and Industry and the Austrian Chamber of Commerce and Industry to strengthen the cooperation in the commercial fields.
- In 2003 the ratification of the agreement to protect and encourage investment between the two countries.
- In 2006 the municipality of Vienna donated a fire truck to the Sana’a firehouse.
- In 2007 Yemen received shipments of medicines donated from Austria and received a Austrian medical teams.
- A loan agreement for the Social Fund for Development approved.
- In 2008 a draft health agreement was conceptualized between Yemen and Austria.
- In 2016 Austria provided € 500,000 as Humanitarian assistance to Yemen.
- In 2017 Austria provided € 2,000,000 as Humanitarian assistance to Yemen.
- in 2018 Austria provided € 2,000,000 as Humanitarian assistance to Yemen.
The Ambassador of the Republic of Yemen to Austria H.E. Mr. Haytham Adbulmomen SHOJA’AADIN is a non-resident ambassador for Yemen in Slovenia, Croatia and Slovakia.